Epic


Our Epic day passes for our snowboard trip arrived! The plan is to carve out Vail and Beaver Creek. My first snowboard trip was in 2009 and I have been able to visit some of the best slopes in the U.S(in my opinion) since then. We haven't been to these two resorts and from my dear friend Nancy, I hear it's pretty awesome.

I tend to like to take breaks on the mountain instead of bombing it like the pros...but I think Beaver Creek might turn me pro...with their warm chocolate cookies (placed on platters) at the end of the runs. What an excellent incentive to withhold from the occasional oh my feet are cramped breaks on the mountain. Which I must say, the cramping of my arches has lightened.

Here are a few pointers I received from a local snowboard shop to help with prevention of pain:

  1. Take out the soles of the snowboard boots to give you room
  2. Wear ultra thin socks instead of thick wool sock
These helpful tactics allow your feet to "breath" therefore, blood flows to your feet and hopefully reduces cramping. On my last two trips, I did see a great improvement and only had to stop less than a handful of times to relieve my poor feet. 

Another reason to be excited is to finally wear the fur trapper hat Jamie bought me last year (to wear AFTER a day of snowboarding ~ Always wear a helmet on the slopes!) I bought the same one prior to being the recipient of the gracious gift that I have never worn, and will selling the item on Grace's and I site Rica-Rica.com soon. 

Tips for newbies:
  1. If you are able to, take a lesson - just to give you a few basic pointers
  2. Practice heeling for a good while and practice going toe side down (try to practice on both sides equally)
  3. When performing heel side - put your weight on your BOTH of your heels, don't be afraid to fall down
  4. When performing toe side -put your entire weight on the toes (lean forward), don't be afraid to fall down!
  5. The upper part of your body helps to navigate down the mountain, so if you want to head towards a particular direction - move your shoulders as well as your upper half, if you need the extra power to turn your upper half...just twist! 
  6. When switching from heel side to toe side, let one foot perform the turn at at time... do not try both heels change to both toes simultaneously. You will eat it (eat the snow). It's like a rolling of the feet action from one foot to another
  7. When you fall...try try and try again

My past snowboard trips







Comments

Popular Posts